Are you planning a Holiday road trip this year? If so, be sure to follow these simple pre-departure tips to ensure you arrive at your destination safely:
Holiday Road Trip Tips
Before you leave, take your car in to your mechanic to have it winterized. In addition to ensuring your car is running properly, your mechanic will make sure you have:
- Proper wiper blades and winter fluid
- Proper coolant/antifreeze
- Proper tire pressure and tread wear
- Check your 4-WD or AWD systems are working
- Plan your route in advance and check with highway officials on road conditions and look out for winter/flood warnings.
- Double check your Emergency Kit to ensure it is properly stocked. Add additional snacks, water, and blankets
- If traveling through snow, inspect your chains and be sure they’re in the car
- Collect your roadside assistance information before leaving.
- Make sure to have your mobile phone and charger on hand in case you get stranded.
- Notify friends and family of your departure and expected arrival times.
- Leave during light traffic times, avoiding rush hours and popular travel days.
- Once you hit the road, take a deep breath and take your time. Stress free driving is safe driving.
When it comes to road safety, it all starts with being prepared. With just a little forethought and planning, you can drive with confidence and enjoy your holiday with family and friends.